Questions concerning requirements

Nov 13, 2011 at 8:06 AM

After reading the requirements/documentation some questions popped up:

• Is there the idea to create a software that can be reused by other organizations in the problem domain?  
  • Will the software run in a single or multi user environment? 
  • Are the use cases all associated with the same user role?
  • Is internationalization a concern of the software?
  • What are the legal requirements concerning tracking of payments? Does payment tracking need to be traceable/auditable?
  • Are there 3rd party systems like payment gateways involved? This could be a data or web service interface?
  • Does the software need to export data? Printing is also some kind of data export!
  • Is there business logic involved when ending a sponsorship?
  • When creating a new sponsor is there business logic involved to avoid creating duplicates?
  • In case there is no business logic involved when creating new sponsors is there some visual assistance (similar sponsors...) to assist the user not to create duplicates?
  • What is membership? Is membership associated with the concept of sponsorship? If yes how?
Coordinator
Nov 13, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Hi!

I will try to answer some of your questions:
> Is there the idea to create a software that can be reused by other organizations in the problem domain?
First of all we try to help one specific organization located in Vienna, Austria. But we hope that other organizations will be able to reuse this software.

> Will the software run in a single or multi user environment?
It should be a multi user environment - currently we need to support a max of 5 concurrent users. Right now I'm not sure which kind of concurrency control will be implemented.

> Are the use cases all associated with the same user role?
Yes, at least as far as I know.

> Is internationalization a concern of the software?
No, at least not yet.

> What are the legal requirements concerning tracking of payments? Does payment tracking need to be traceable/auditable?
We haven't put much thought in legal details yet :) Yes, there should be a payment audit. We get this for free if we are really using event sourcing.

> Are there 3rd party systems like payment gateways involved? This could be a data or web service interface?
Not really. We will only need a form were the user can register incoming payments from a home banking account.

> Does the software need to export data? Printing is also some kind of data export!
I think reports will be added later. 

> Is there business logic involved when ending a sponsorship?
Don't know.

> When creating a new sponsor is there business logic involved to avoid creating duplicates?
> In case there is no business logic involved when creating new sponsors is there some visual assistance (similar sponsors...) to assist the user not to create duplicates?
Don't know, but couldn't hurt.

> What is membership? Is membership associated with the concept of sponsorship? If yes how?
As far as I know they aren't connected. I think a person can be a member of the agency and/or be a sponsor of a child.
A member has to pay a certain annual fee and a sponsor has to pay monthly, I think.

On the 26th we will at least implement the use cases that are absolutely necessary to start working with the software, but of course we will try to get done as much as possible.
Martin is our connection to the domain expert. Maybe he can add details or correct some of my answers if necessary.

Cheers!

Coordinator
Nov 13, 2011 at 11:07 AM

I've fleshed out the list of requirements (from memory) and have also added quite a few open questions and undefined use cases. A few of your questions should now be answered on the requirements page.

• I don't think the software should be implemented to be reusable by other agencies for now, but it might very well be reusable by accident.
  • For now, there should be about 4-5 users.
  • For now, there is no authentication or authorization planned.
  • I don't think we need internationalization for now, we'll probably implement a German-language UI.
  • This is not an accounting software, tracking of payments is only to get an overview about who pays and who doesn't pay their sponsorship fees and presents. Do you think there are any legal requirements involved?
  • No integration of 3rd party systems for payments or similar external systems.
  • About the data export and printing - good question, I've added this to the list :)
  • Business logic when ending a sponsorship: What kind of busines logic do you mean? I've added a few details and open questions to the respective use case, is there anything else you're thinking of?
  • Business logic or assistance when adding a sponsor to avoid creating duplicates: Good point, I've added this to the use case.
  • A member of the agency agrees to pay a regular sum to the agency, but not to a specific sponsored child. Insofar, it is similar to a sponsorship what regards payments, but different what regards the purpose.

About the undefined use cases I've added to the list: I'd suggest to have a "view and edit" and a "delete" use case for every entity in the system (sponsor, sponsorship, membership, payment, sponsored child, person, present, present template). What do you other people think?

I'd also like to hear about opinions about the open questions. Ideally, we should remove any known uncertainties before Nov. 26 :)

Regards,
Fabian

Coordinator
Nov 13, 2011 at 11:16 AM

You are much faster than I am in answering the questions ;-)

Sebastian & Fabian: your answers are 100% right. I will do some work on the detailed specs this week and put them online.

Coordinator
Nov 13, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Multilanguage is at the moment Not necessary, but we should keep it in mind for later versions. There are not only NGO's in Austria and Germany...

Coordinator
Nov 13, 2011 at 12:27 PM

@Martin: Great! Can you use the Wiki page I created for the specs? It's here: http://godfather.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Requirements%2fUse%20Cases. Maybe you could also add some priority, e.g., "must have", "should have", "nice to have". That way, we'll know in which order we should solve the use cases on Nov. 26.

Coordinator
Nov 15, 2011 at 6:20 PM

@Fabian: The specs are very good atm. I'll meet Gabi at the weekend or next week to discuss the open questions...